Blog

Pet Poison Prevention

National Poison Prevention Week starts March 16th! Poison ingestion is always a huge concern in our industry. Pets are very curious and playful, but they don’t know what is and isn’t safe for them. Many household items are toxic to our furry pals! A Sugar Land, TX vet discusses pet poison prevention below.

Chemicals

Many common household items are poisonous to pets. This includes things like pesticides, rodenticides, bug spray, fertilizer, and cleaning products. Medicines (both prescription and OTC) and vitamins are also unsafe for our animal companions. Keep these items stored in secure cabinets when not in use. When you do use them, make sure your pet can’t access that area. Your buddy could get sick just from walking through a recently-treated spot and then licking their paws! Also, when using lawn/garden products, be sure to water the area after, so the chemicals seep down into the soil.

Hidden Dangers

There are also many things that people don’t know are dangerous to pets. Xylitol is one example of this. Xylitol is a preservative that can be found in many processed foods, particularly sweets. Himalayan salt lamps are another one that many people don’t realize are dangerous. Cats sometimes are drawn to the salt, which is very toxic for them. Many plants are also poisonous to pets. Check the ASPCA site here for more information. Other dangerous items include marijuana products, tobacco, automotive products, and aerosols. Essential oils are another concern. They may smell nice, but they can be toxic to pets!

Be Prepared

We recommend downloading and printing out a few pet first-aid brochures. Keep copies with your pet’s crate or carrier, and in their first-aid kit. You’ll also want to keep your vet’s number handy. Ours is 281-462-5424. We also recommend saving the number for the Pet Poison Helpline, which is 800-213-6680. (Note: charges may apply.)

Signs Of Poisoning

The signs of poison ingestion will vary from pet to pet, but there are some common ones to look for. Trembling, vomiting, rapid heart rate, reduced appetite, and withdrawal are all red flags. Ask your vet for more information. If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t, don’t wait to see what happens. Call your vet or the poison helpline right away.

Please contact us, your Sugar Land, TX vet clinic, for all your pet’s veterinary care needs. We’re here to help!

Comments are closed.