Keeping Pets Safe on Trick-or-Treat Night

It can be a lot of fun to include your pet in the Trick-or-Treat festivities, but it’s important to make sure she stays safe. Here, a Stafford vet lists the most common trick-or-treat night hazards for pet owners to be aware of.


Of course, chocolate is very bad for pets. All types contain caffeine and theobromine, harmful chemicals for animals. Ingesting chocolate can result in vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse, so make sure your pet doesn’t have access to any chocolate goodies. Remember to put away trick-or-treat leftovers properly—leaving chocolate out on the kitchen countertops or table can lead to disaster!

Candy and Gum

Candy and gum are also common this time of year, and probably take up as much space in your trick-or-treat bowl as chocolate bars. The trouble is, candy and gum are often sweetened with an artificial sugar known as xylitol. Xylitol is highly toxic to pets, and as little as a few sticks of gum can cause serious problems. Don’t leave candy or gum where pets can reach it.


If a lot of trick-or-treaters are going to be coming to your door this year, there’s a high likelihood that some pets will dart out the opening, running away into the night! If your pet is the type to use any opening she can find, you may have to secure her in an escape-proof room. Also remember to have your pet properly identified just in case—ask your vet about ID tags and microchips to keep your pet’s contact information on her at all times.

Pet Costumes

Trick-or-treaters may love seeing your pet dressed up in her very own costume, but don’t do it at the expense of your pet’s health. Some animals will be quite uncomfortable wearing costumes, especially if they’re too tight or overly baggy. Ensure your pet won’t get stressed out, and check the costume for small pieces that could be chewed off and swallowed.

This year, trick-or-treat doesn’t have to be a true nightmare. Call your Stafford veterinarian for more great tips for keeping your pet safe.

Comments are closed.